Please note the deadline for applications for this job have now passed.
Widely recognized for its progressive and energetic approach to publishing, Liverpool University Press (LUP) is an award-winning scholarly publisher, producing 150 books every year, 37 academic journals and 5 digital collections. The Press has grown significantly in recent years and is based in a beautifully refurbished Georgian townhouse on the edge of the University of Liverpool campus, although the current situation allows staff to work remotely.
The Marketing Assistant reports jointly to the Head of Journals and the Head of Sales and Marketing and will under their supervision be responsible for the following:
Journals Marketing Strategy
Create and maintain the annual Journals Marketing Strategy to plan and budget for all journals marketing activity for the academic year including but not limited to:
Journal Sales (for subscription journals and journal archives):
- ‘Recommend’ campaigns (encouraging academics to recommend LUP journals to their librarian)
- ‘Upgrade’ campaigns and introductions to new collections and products (encouraging librarians/academics to upgrade their access)
- Sales campaigns to academic institutions
- All ‘follow up’ campaigns
- Annual reporting on email marketing performance in order to plan for the next year’s activities
- Newsletter campaigns to raise profile of Open Access (OA) journals and platforms
- ‘Submissions’ campaigns by journal (encouraging submissions to LUP journals)
- ‘Free issue’ campaigns and ‘follow ups’ with discount (marketing of free journal issues on LUP platform)
- General announcements (new content, subject area, conference or event announcements)
- Press releases
- Design and print marketing literature as required
Conferences and events
- Work with the Books Marketing Manager to research and plan for key events
- Contacting organisers, arranging promotions, and maintaining the events diary
- Liaise with books marketing for joint promotions
- Managing conference and event spending
- Requesting invoices and liaising as necessary with finance
- Creating marketing materials for conferences when required
- Manage existing advertisement exchange agreements for both subscription journals, OA journals, and journal archives
- Enquire about and set up new advertising opportunities (both online and in print)
- Manage the paid advertising options on the journals section of the LUP website
- Update Twitter regularly with TOC alerts, Altmetrics, press releases, retweet authors/editors, highlight topical articles/issues etc.
LUP Website – hosted by CloudPublish (123Library)
- Update and maintain the website, specifically:
- All individual journal home pages
- Journals home page – news items, new widgets (Altmetrics, journals subject leaflets)
- Pricing page
- Free issues page
- Liaise with CloudPublish to ensure all levels of access are displayed correctly (OA, free to read)
- Liaising with production/CloudPublish regarding any requests from authors about how their details are displayed, editing errors in article online.
- Driving usage/discoverability of OA content
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to Head of Journals, Clare Hooper: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Noon on July 30th
Interview date: August 6th
Benefits include 36 days holiday plus Bank Holidays and excellent pension scheme.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the role with people from backgrounds under-represented in the publishing industry.