Journals Publishing Manager – Job Description
Widely recognized for its progressive and energetic approach to publishing, Liverpool University Press (LUP) is an award-winning scholarly publisher, producing more than 150 books every year, 38 academic journals and a number of digital collections. Founded in 1899, the Press has grown significantly in recent years and is located in a beautifully refurbished Georgian townhouse on the edge of the University of Liverpool campus.
Reporting to the Head of Journals, the Journals Publishing Manager will undertake the following primary duties:
Management of a portfolio of journals
- As currently configured this represents LUP’s thirteen Modern Languages journals but we welcome experience of managing journals in other disciplines.
- Liaise with editors when appropriate with regards to: Submissions, Content, Marketing of the journal, Symposiums, Website (journal page, news items, blog posts etc.), Meetings.
- Liaise with internal subscriptions department.
- Liaise with agents.
- Liaise with Production and Marketing
Management of member lists
- Liaise with member secretaries, members and subscriptions manager.
- Organise member invoices to societies on annual basis with Finance dept.
Abstracting and indexing
- Review and manage journal presence in all abstracting indices, including Thomson, Scopus and relevant subject indices
- Submission of those not included where appropriate
- Assisting Head of Journals by researching journals by subject area and recording details in commissioning database.
Access for website users
- Using the web admin tool to: make papers OA/free to access when needed, create content packages, enable access via IP, licence.
- Use web tool to create reports – journal usage for authors/editors, institutional usage for librarians re. subscriptions.
- Liaise with Journals Marketing Assistant on Google Analytics to review performance of journals.
- For papers which will be open access, recording details and raising invoices. Ensuring paper ‘open access’ via web admin tool once published.
- Send out author PDFs via email to contributors once journal has been published.
Reviewer Rewards (annual basis)
- Liaise with editors of all journals for nominations for the rewards.
- Contact reviewers with certificate and letter for their head of department.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience of managing journals OR a minimum of 3 years working as part of a journals publishing team.
- Show enthusiasm and the confidence to manage relationships with external society partners and editors.
- Possess excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks.
- Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss the role with people from backgrounds under-represented in the publishing industry.
Salary: £26,000 plus discretionary £1000 bonus.
Benefits include 36 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (44 days leave in total) and excellent pension scheme.
Location: Although Liverpool is a distinctive part of the Press’s identity, we recognise the need for flexibility in location and will consider a hybrid from home/in office working pattern.
To apply please email a CV to LUP’s Head of Journals, Clare Hooper, email@example.com, with a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role and giving the details of two referees who will only be contacted in the event that you are offered the position.
Closing date: Midday on Friday 30th April
Interview date: Friday 7th May
Liverpool University Press strives to be an open and inclusive workplace.
Follow us for more updates