Production Editor / Senior Production Editor
Widely recognized for its progressive and energetic approach to publishing, Liverpool University Press (LUP) is an award-winning scholarly publisher, producing 150 books every year, 40 academic journals and a number of digital collections. The Press has grown significantly in recent years and is located in a beautifully refurbished Georgian townhouse on the edge of the University of Liverpool campus.
- Oversee the production of books from receipt of unedited content to delivery of final printed and electronic products
- Do preparation work on manuscripts (including checking Word documents and assessing the suitability of images) before handing over material to the project manager for copyediting, typesetting, proof correction, and index creation
- Liaise with the author(s) and respond to queries throughout the production process
- Oversee a team of freelance suppliers, maintaining agreed schedules and budgets
- Check files prior to sending books to print
- Liaise with printers (including transferring files, checking printer proofs, ensuring quality of printed material, and confirming delivery of printed material to distributors, subscribers, and authors)
- Oversee conversion of material to various electronic formats, working with third-party suppliers
- Report to colleagues (including the Head of Production and finance team members) on publication schedules
- Generate purchase orders for invoices
- Attend editorial and management meetings as required
- Assist the rest of the production team as needed
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in book or journal production at an academic publisher required for Production Editor position
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience preferred, in which instance the candidate will be considered for Senior Production Editor position with greater autonomy
- Proven experience with copyediting and proofreading
- Outstanding written English
- A degree-level qualification in a relevant field. A postgraduate degree may be advantageous.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Confidence to work unsupervised and to prioritize a complex workload
- Good communications skills, primarily using email but also for face-to-face and online meetings
Salary: £23,000 plus bonus (Production Editor); £26,000 plus bonus (Senior Production Editor)
Benefits include 36 days holiday plus Bank Holidays and excellent pension scheme.
Liverpool University Press offers both hybrid working (2 days in the office, 3 days from home) and flexible start, finish and lunch times to support the work/life balance for staff.
We are an equal opportunities employer assessing every application on merit alone.
Please email a CV and covering letter to Patrick Brereton, Head of Production, email@example.com
Closing date: Noon on Friday 8th October
Interviews will be held on Zoom on Friday 15th October.
Follow us for more updates
Sign up to our mailing list
Twitter | Instagram